I have reinstalled Vista on my primary computer some time ago. I was still missing one device installed – Mustek BearPaw 2400TA Plus – because there are no official drivers for Windows Vista. I’m running a 32-bit Enterprise flavour of Vista, so previously I had the Windows 2000/XP drivers installed with some registry hack and it quite worked. However, when I tried to find that information now, I couldn’t find it anywhere.
Finally, after more than hour of googling, I found a way to do it. I’ll just make a note here for myself or anyone else who would like to do the same trick and find that information faster.
Here we go:
- Download 2000 / XP drivers for your scanner
- Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProductName registry key to say “Microsoft Windows 2000”
- Reboot Vista and start it in Safe Mode
- Install the drivers, they should now install fine
- Reboot Vista, start normally. After logging in, it will ask you if you want to use an unsigned driver – agree
That’s it – everything should be working more or less normally. I just tried that and it works for me – this trick should work for all XP / 2000 drivers.